All day long, the Swan Boats circled the lake,carrying their load of happy people, many of themchildren.
一整天,这些天鹅游艇都在环湖航行着,带着那些快乐的游人,其中多数是孩子们。
Louis played his trumpet as he had never played itbefore.
路易斯不停地吹着他的小号,以前他还从没有这样过。
He liked the job. He loved to entertain people. Andhe loved music.
他喜欢这个工作。他喜欢给人带来快乐。他也喜欢音乐。
The Boatman was just as pleased as he could be.
游艇老板则光顾着在那儿拼命高兴了。
When the day was over and the boats had made their last trip,
当白天结束,游艇们也都跑完最后一程的时候,
the Boatman walked over to Louis, who was standing on shore arranging his things.
游艇老板走到正站在岸上收拾他那些东西的路易斯身边。
"You've done great," said the Boatman.
“你干得太棒了,”游艇老板说。
"You're a good swan. I wish I'd had you long ago.
“你是一只出色的天鹅。我真希望老早以前就雇了你。
And now--where are you planning to spend the night?"
现在——你打算去哪儿过夜呢?”
"Here on the lake," Louis wrote.
“就在这湖上,”路易斯写。
"Well, I don't know about that," said the man uneasily.
“唔,我不知道这行不行,”这个男人不放心地说。
"An awful lot of people are curious about you.
“对你感到好奇的人简直太多了。
They might make trouble for you. Bad boys might molest you.
他们也许会给你找麻烦的。那些坏男孩会騷扰你的。
I don't trust the people who hang around this park at night.
我不信任那些夜里在这个公园到处闲逛的。
You might get kidnapped. I don't want to lose you.
你可能会被绑架的。我可不想失去你。
I think I'll take you across to the Ritz Carlton Hotel and get you a room for the night.
我想我该领你去里兹·卡尔顿饭店,在那里给你找一间过夜的客房。
It's clean, and the food is good. It would be safer. Then I can be sure you'll come to work in themorning."
房间很干净,食物也不错。那里会更安全些。那样的话我保证你早上可以安全地来工作。”
Louis didn't think much of this idea, but he agreed to go.
路易斯对这些问题倒没太考虑,不过他还是同意去饭店了。
He thought, "Well, I've never spent a night in a hotel--maybe it would be an interestingexperience."
他想:“噢,我还从没在饭店住过一夜呢——大概这会是一次很有趣的经历。”
So he walked along with the Boatman.
于是他和游艇老板一起走了。
They left the park and crossed Arlington Street and entered the lobby of the Ritz.
他们离开公园,穿过阿林顿街,进到了里兹饭店的大厅。
It had been a long, tiring day for Louis,
对路易斯来说,这是漫长的,疲累的一天,
but he felt relieved to know that he had a good job and that he could earn money in Boston asa musician.
可他却感到很欣慰,因为他知道他有了一份好工作,也能够在波士顿以乐手的身份赚钱了。